A phased programme of research and investigation carried out over 2 years at Bishopscourt
Bishopscourt is the former Episcopal palace for the Church of England’s Diocese of Sodor and Man, now in private hands. It likely began as a fourteenth century defensive stone peel, with a hall, chapel, west wing, wash house, dairy and game larder added later to form a complex of buildings set in a spectacular landscape.
The present Victorian Gothic St Nicholas Chapel, dates to 1858 and served as the Pro-Cathedral for the Diocese from 1895 until 1976. The chapel features Minton tile floors, stained glass windows, original furniture, and a Bevington organ. The chapel remains consecrated today, and services and weddings are occasionally held there.
Lincoln Conservation was commissioned to provide
- An extensive architectural paint research exercise throughout the main house, Refectory and Cottages
- Archaeological Survey of the house and grounds (Historic England level 2)
- Full Matterport scan of the main house and Chapel
- Recording historic wallpapers
- Paint and varnish removal trials
- Condition assessment of the Chapel joinery, fixtures, fittings and furniture